Vote “YES” Twice for Hood River County Services!
After significant public input from focus groups, budget workshops, public meetings and exploring all options, the County Commission is proposing two tax measures. If passed in tandem, these two measures could resolve the county’s critical budget problems. Two measures were chosen to better spread the costs among county residents, property owners and visitors to the area.
Prepared Food & Beverage Tax
- 5% of prepared food and beverages purchases in restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores and deli-like counters.
- Does not include alcohol (not allowed by the state).
- Would go into effect January 1, 2020.
- Is anticipated to raise $1.8 million annually, with a significant portion to be paid by non-residents.
- Operators can retain 5% of collections for administration.
Local Operating Levy
- Currently, only 10% of collected property taxes go to Hood River County – the rest go to other taxing jurisdictions. If the local option passes, 16% of property tax collections will go to the county, providing an additional estimated $2.1 million in annual revenue.
- The five-year local option tax of 0.89 / $1,000 assessed value would help avoid reductions in public health and safety services.
- Would add approximately $174.48 per year to the median home value property tax bill, or around $14.54 / month.*
- Levy is retired or renewed every 5 years by Hood River Co. voters.
* based on the median county residential RMV (Real Market Value) of $368,580.
PLEASE VOTE “YES”…TWICE!
Please Donate! We need your help to ensure our community members understand the importance of maintaining critical services for Hood River County and vote YES to approve the Local Option Operating Levy and Prepared Food & Beverage Tax on the May 21st ballot. Oregon law allows a Personal Income Tax Credit (full refund) for political contributions. The tax credit is the amount of the cash contribution limited to $100 on a joint return and $50 on a single or separate return. Please donate to the Safe&Healthy HRC campaign!